Pages

To live and enjoy every day to its fullest, use my gifts to help others, I travel to wherever passion finds me.

What Will She Paint?

So many friends I met here...!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

BEFORE AND AFTER PICS


As said before, our previous house was sold a week before Thanksgiving. What a relief!
We took the boxes in our new house to the garage, so at least our children and some friends could visit for the holidays. Now the month of December is over, and we have settled into the new year, hubby and I have gone to the store for various basic things we needed to make our condo more livable.

In the first pic  hubby has taken out the built-in microwave with fan/hood attached to it. They both did not work. So he installed a new hood (thank you! now I don't have to open the front door anymore when I cook! Why? The smoke alarm kept going off). The tubes to the outside was more work to make it fit tightly)


Maybe you remember that we bought a foreclosure. We had heard that people in that position are often so angry that they destroy their own house. So, we were prepared.
After the hood was installed, we bought 4 door handles, because the owner had taken off the door knobs of two bed rooms and two bath rooms, so these doors had holes in them!
At first I didn't think much of it, but when hubby started stuffing the hole with a sock (since I often go to bed later, he complained he couldn't fall asleep with so much light coming in), I realized we had to do something about the doors..


In the bedroom was no ceiling light, which made it so dark that I couldn't see if our clothes and sheets were clean or dirty! 
We both kept looking what that behind that mysterious big square on the ceiling could be. Had there been a big hole and it was covered up, or had there been a leak?? If you look closely at the pic below you still can see the edges of that big square that had been covered up.



Hubby ran a wire from the ceiling to the plug. I have been told by maestro that you make these little cutouts, because you don't want to drill into a wire being put in there before (that would a small disaster!). 
After putting in a support to hang the ceiling light on and putting the cutouts back in, it needs three coats of mud, then primer, then paint, then structure. Got that?

I guess we'll be looking at next month before the light hangs (sigh). I don't even want to think about the missing bathroom cabinets, and the shaky bathroom sinks.

But I'll keep you up-to-date!

16 comments:

rainfield61 said...

There is always difference between before and after when we make changes.

Wait to see your latest renovation.

DUTA said...

Your post made me think. I'm not sure I could buy a foreclosure. I once found a diamond which has fallen from a ring on the pavement of a deserted street. I still have it, but I'll never be able to wear it because whenever I look at it I imagine the owner crying for the loss.

Clytie said...

Wow it sounds like you are looking forward to a lot of work.

I've heard about people destroying foreclosed homes. It makes me wonder about these peoples' intelligence levels!

Good luck to you though! Can't wait to see more before & afters!

Unknown said...

Sad that the anger is most often visited, not on the source, but the innocent. By the way, new painting is up.

Unknown said...

Ah ha! My husband LOVES fixer-uppers! His forte' I think Looks like you might be busy for a little while, but oh the reward afterwards!

Jeannette StG said...

SORRY BLOGGIE FRIENDS - I LOST 3 COMMENTS WHEN TAKING IT OFF COMMENT MODERATION :(

Rainfield,
These are not as much changes as replacing basic things in this house in my opinion (for the prices of houses here in the neighborhood - I don't know how that is where you live:) )

Clytie,
In their anger, which is out of hand, they forget that the bank whom they're angry at, can do what they want to, when selling a house (whereas a private owner could not get away with holes in doors, bathrooms without cabinets, etc.).
Am very fortunate that hubby is a carpenter!

Joey,
Your new painting is great! Very difficult subject!
When people are angry, many become irrational LOL

Linda,
O yeah, I appreciate what is fixed up more than if it had all been in order! Have to say though that hubby dislikes fixer uppers, because that is what his parents did. He likes to install NEW things:)
(I sometimes tell him that he is spoiled-smile).

DUTA said...

Your post made me think. I'm not sure I could buy a foreclosure. I once found a diamond which has fallen from a ring on the pavement of a deserted street. I still have it, but I'll never be able to wear it because whenever I look at it, I imagine the original owner crying for the loss.

Jeannette StG said...

Duta,
Thank you for posting your comment again!
You may not know this but in the USA many people started in the last 10 years buying a house they actually couldn't afford ( the loanofficers are also at fault here, tweaking things so that it looked like people could afford it). Also, the smaller one's down payment is, the higher the monthly mortgage payments are.

At the time that we bought this condo, fifty percent of all houses for sale were foreclosures!
For me it is not a personal thing, like a ring, because we bought the condo from the bank, not from a specific person.
When I saw the evidence of things taken our that were basic, I did think for some time about it. Came to the conclusion that it was sad that they lost these condos (many were empty), but they're not out on the street.
The original prices were too high for middle class, and these mostly have more than one iron in the fire (or more than one house).

Reader Wil said...

Hi Jeannette! It's never easy to move house, but it's annoying if essential things are missing because previous owners took them away.
Thanks for your visit. No, I am no skater either. I learned to skate and swim after the age of 15. When we first came to Holland I was 12 and we lived in a summerhouse on the Veluwe for three years, with no swimmingpool or other water in the neighbourhood.There was no ice rink either.

DeniseinVA said...

A lot of work but it will be lovely when it's all done. I hope it won't be too long before you have everything the way you want it and how rewarding that will be.

Kathryn Magendie said...

(First, as to your comment on my blog - the Reader's Guide is in the back of the book - sort of a discussion guide that book clubs or schools can use!)

Oh, house remodels are expensive and time consuming - but when they are done - ahhhhh!

Jeannette StG said...

Reader Wil,
Some physical skills seem "not to take", when one learns them later in life. Fortunately, we have plenty of other skills:) That must have been a big adjustment for you - my oldest daughter was twelve when we moved to the States and it was the hardest on her.
I wouldn't mind living in a summerhouse on the Veluwe right now:).

Denise,
Thank you for the uplifting words. Standing in front of these projects is always more intimidating than after they are done!

Kathryn,
Thank you for your explanation of the Reader's Guide! Oh, don't remind me on what it's going to cost (just kidding -we'll just have to do it as we go, instead of incurring debts!)

Zuzana said...

What an interesting post. It must have been strange to buy such a house, but I guess it seems to be pretty original and you get to know it as you go along. There is something about moving to a new place, it holds the magic of discovery.;)
xo
Zuzana

Jeannette StG said...

Zuzanna,
Moving has always been this way for me, like you said in your last sentence, and it probably has to do with my love for traveling.
I was greatly surprised that it seemed so hard this time, maybe because our now previous house was just like we wanted it to, our kids spent their teens, had lots of parties, so there was a lot to say goodbye too!

PJ said...

You know that I know exactly what you're going through with this renovation. As for the foreclosure revenge, at least they didn't pour concrete down the drains - it happens.

Jeannette StG said...

Paula,
Yes, I remember you said on your blog that you had a renovation...and you survived it:) Hope that you are enjoying your newly renovated home?
Concrete down the drain -I am glad we were spared of that!