Pages

To live and enjoy every day to its fullest, use my gifts to help others, I travel to wherever passion finds me.

What Will She Paint?

So many friends I met here...!

Saturday, November 15, 2008

MY THANKSGIVING LIST and SWEET POTATOES WITH APPLES

I joyfully celebrate this feast that originated when the pilgrims came to their new country. This is the 4th country I live in, so I might as well consider myself a pilgrim and join the fun!
Part of the fun is the togetherness of a family: the busyness in the kitchen of those who prepare the meal. The children joining in, or doing games, art or other activities, like going to the park feeding the ducks, flying a kyte - you name it.

In some homes the tradition is to go around the circle (before eating the food) and say that whey are thankful for.
In this writing I am also thankful for all the friend's that have shared their Thanksgiving get-together with us, when I didn't know yet what the traditions were.

Here's my Thankful List for this Year
* spending Thanksgiving with my oldest daughter's family
* connecting with friends I haven't seen in many years
* my son from China as well as my 2nd daughter and her baby spending time with us
* my hubby taking care of 101 things when i was virtually immobile with a sciative nerve
* finding keys to regain my health
* discovery of the blogs! finding many new friends
* learning new things in painting
* all the amazing art events I was part of this year
* the incredible beauty of the poppy fields and Yosemite
* visit to Florida and seeing many, many people healed
* rediscovery of jewelry making
* crepes and Indian food
* heaps of chocolate

Since Thanksgiving is such a typical American feast I set my love for foreign food aside for a day and enjoy things that would cost a fortune to buy somewhere else in the world.
My favorite and healthy dish is Sweet Potatoes with Apples (sorry, i can't remember where this recipe came from).

Sweet Potatoes with Apples

4 lb. Sweet potatoes
1 cup onions, chopped
3 Tbs. butter

4 large Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup of water
1/2 tsp. salt, dash of pepper and nutmeg

Boil the Sweet potatoes in water with skin on. When soft, peel off the skin after they have cooled off a bit.
Sautee onions in butter till golden. Add the peeled, cored, and sliced apples with 1/2 cup of water. Cover pan and simmer 10-15 min.
Add the sweet potatoes (sliced or mashed), and add the spices.
You may make this dish 1-3 days ahead if you like. Reheat in oven for 25-30 min.



No comments: